Monday, October 8, 2007

Korean Barber


Hairdressing is quite a tough job, because you have to stand on your feet pretty much whole day. This is why oz is desperately short of hairdressers these days. When the demand exceeds the supply, the solution is obvious - importing from overseas. This not only applies to goods but human as well! Relax, I am not talking slave trading here, but the so-called skilled immigrants. To me they seem to serve a similar same purpose, the only difference is the modern day twist of the latter.

It is not difficult to notice that a lot of foreign hairdressers have decided to call oz home. I presume they are from everywhere, but Koreans hairdressers seem to be the most obvious group. They are awesome: polite, with strong work ethics and great skills (most of them). I specially like the mutual bowing during greeting hehehe. It is a very Asian etiquette... Ok, I am ready to confess now: yes, my hairdresser is a Korean.

Even though I have been living in oz for quite some time, I had only been to local aussie salons twice. Two different hairdressers, nonetheless, both turned out to be disasters. Asian hair is quite different to typical western hair. It is thicker (in terms of both volume and circumference of a single piece of hair) and straighter (literally). Aussie hairdressers are just not used to handling asian hair. Two disaster cuts are enough for me. I have since decided to be risk-averse and stick with my asian hairdressers.

With a tendency to over-analyse everything, I had my eyes on the male hairdressers. I wonder what would they score on a straight-o-meter. This seems to be a global phenomena that defies race and culture. But I guess it makes sense. I would not trust my hair with blokes who have rough edges. Hairdressers are a distinct breed who pay particular attention and take pride in their appearances (at least their hair). I am confident that they would score really well on the metrosexual-o-meter.

No comments: